Information for Booked Guests
For additional frequently asked questions please check our FAQs page.
For a printable PDF of this information please click here.
IMPORTANT DATES, LOCATIONS, AND TIMES
DEPARTURE DATE: Sunday, November 4, 2018
DEPARTURE CITY: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
EMBARKATION/TERMINAL: Port Everglades. See port signs for
SHIP: Holland America Line Nieuw Amsterdam
Terminal Doors Open: 10:30 a.m. Please do not arrive earlier.
BOARDING COMMENCEMENT TIME: 11:30 a.m.
SHIP DEPARTURE TIME: 5:00 p.m.
MANDATORY BOARDING TIME: No later than 3:00 p.m.
RETURN DATE: Sunday, November 11, 2018
RETURN TIME: 7:00 a.m.
(All times are EDT)
SAFE deadline: August 30, 2018. Only applicable if you require special assistance and haven’t previously discussed your needs with a sales agent. Click here for SAFE information.
ONLINE CHECK-IN AT HOLLAND AMERICA
Complete your online check-in now at www.hollandamerica.com/onlinecheckin.
We strongly recommend passengers complete their check-in online in order to greatly speed up the boarding process in the terminal.
- Enter your Holland America Line Booking Number found in your mailed and emailed guest document. It is the 6 digit alpha-numeric character code. This code can also be found once you’re logged in to your StarVista LIVE account.
- Follow the instructions (please have your passport handy to complete this process). It will take about 10-15 minutes to fully complete your online check-in.
- Print the luggage tags to adhere to your luggage when you arrive at the terminal. Please do NOT apply to luggage before your flight in case they rip or tear off en route.
- Starting July 18, you can book spa appointments, indulgences, dinner reservations and shore excursions.
- Deadline to check-in online is close of business October 31, 2018. If you miss the deadline, you may complete your check-in process in the Port Everglades terminal on November 4.
Holland America Line requires ALL guests to PRESENT A VALID PASSPORT from their country of origin at embarkation. There are no substitutes for this requirement. A valid passport is one that expires more than six months after the date the cruise disembarks. Since the date of disembarkation is November 11, 2018, all passports must be valid through May 11, 2019. Guests with non-US passports are responsible for obtaining whatever visas they need to disembark at any and all of the ports of call.
TRANSPORTATION FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE TERMINAL
Suggested ground transportation options to get you to/from Port Everglades terminal:
- Holland America shuttle service. ($19/person from Fort Lauderdale and $27/person from Miami, each way). Please call Holland America at 866-929-2332 to make these reservations.
- Taxi from Fort Lauderdale airport (approximately $25).
- Taxi from Miami airport (approximately $85).
It is your responsibility to arrive at the ship in time for the departure and to secure your transportation at the end of your cruise.
TRANSPORTATION FROM THE WESTIN FORT LAUDERDALE
Start your cruise stress free! Our convenient and comfortable motor coaches will take guests from the official Malt Shop Memories Cruise hotel, The Westin Fort Lauderdale, straight to the Port Everglades terminal. For just $19 per person, your luggage will be loaded at the hotel and delivered to the terminal. Please make sure your bags are properly tagged and loaded onto the bus before you board. To purchase this service simply Log in to your StarVista LIVE account and add Hotel Transfer to Cruise Pier to your reservation.
BOARDING THE SHIP
Boarding will commence at 11:30 a.m. Please do not arrive at the terminal before 10:30 a.m. The doors for the terminal will not open for Malt Shop Memories Cruise guests until 10:30 a.m. Please carry all essential personal items (medications, passport, ID, change of clothes if desired, etc.) with you when you board. Once you complete the embarkation process, you can proceed directly to the ship. Lunch will be served in the Lido Market, Deck 9, starting at noon, and you are free to tour the ship until the cabins are ready. Please keep in mind that the luggage delivery operation will run into the evening hours.
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE SMOKING POLICY
The smoking policy designates all interior space, including staterooms and casino, as non-smoking areas. This includes cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Electronic cigarettes are allowed in staterooms (because they do not leave any residual odor) but cannot be used in public areas. Anyone who violates the ban on smoking in the staterooms will be charged a $250 cleaning fee. No smoking of any kind will be permitted on stateroom balconies. For guests who wish to smoke, there will be a designated area for smoking outside on Deck 9 Aft near the Sea View Bar and Pool. Clearly marked “Designated Smoking Area,” the area includes a sufficient number of ashtrays that are emptied regularly. Cigar and pipe smoking are permitted in the Designated Smoking Area. Holland America Line reserves the right to modify the smoking policy on board or alter the locations where smoking is permissible at any time. Please refer to the Holland America Line website for any other information.
Other than drink and Spa service charges, all tips for servers, cabin stewards, etc., have been pre-paid. However, please feel free to reward exemplary service with the internationally recognized sign of gratitude: “tipping.”
HOSPITALITY AND SALES AREAS
Our hospitality desk is located on Deck 1 Midship across from the Front Office. Our sales office is located on Deck 3 Forward in the Hudson Room. Hours will be listed in the daily programs delivered to your stateroom. Please stop by to say hello! It’s always great to put a face with a voice.
If your T-shirt arrived damaged, please bring it with you and we will happily exchange it, pending availability. Our hospitality desk on Deck 1 Midship will be open for exchanges on Sunday and Monday before the T-Shirt Party only. Hours of operation will be posted onboard.
MALT SHOP MEMORIES CRUISE ATTIRE
The overall dress theme for the cruise is “smart casual.”
Daytime attire is not subject to limitations, so guests may dress in appropriate and tasteful clothing of their choosing. Coverups and footwear are required in all venues and dining areas.
Evening attire is subject to the dress code for that particular evening. For six of the seven nights the evening dress code is “smart casual,” which means no shorts, tank tops or T-shirts in the main dining rooms or premium restaurants. Jeans are acceptable attire for the “smart casual” evenings. Our formal night is Prom Night on Friday. Our nightly themes offer you a chance to dress up in theme-appropriate clothing (e.g., sock hop, prom, costumes) most nights.
MALT SHOP MEMORIES CRUISE PROGRAMMING
To help you better prepare for this rock ’n’ roll party at sea, we are excited to announce that we will post our shows and event schedule on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise website in October! We hope this enables you to better plan your spa appointments and dining around the events you want to attend during the week. Check it regularly for any updates as we fine-tune our week at sea.
During the course of the cruise we will continue to have special contests and events:
- Going, Going, Gonged Show Got a hidden talent you want to share? We are bringing back our talent show and all of the hilarity it inspires. If you would like to participate on board this year, start preparing now. Sign-up times will be announced aboard the ship. Please ensure that you have your own backing materials and tracks. Each participant will be allowed two minutes to perform.
- Door Decorating Contest Guests are encouraged to decorate the doors to their cabins to reflect the Malt Shop Memories Cruise format. Prizes will be awarded to the winners. We ask that guests use nonflammable materials and not use any fasteners or tape that would leave a hole or any residue or sticky substance when removed. Also, please don’t use anything that could fall off and impede the flow of traffic.
- Hula-Hoop Contest You may try (as many times as you want!) to be the winner of the Single, Double and Triple Hula-Hoop Contests. Those who keep the hoops going the longest win prizes.
- T-shirt Party and T-shirt Decoration Contest Join us on Monday for the annual T-shirt party. Put on your Malt Shop Memories Cruise T-shirt and get ready to enjoy free drinks and entertainment. There will be a contest and prizes for the guests with the most inventive T-shirt decorations.
PARTIES AND LATE-NIGHT THEMES
The Malt Shop Memories Cruise will host a wide variety of gatherings and festive events. While it is not mandatory to dress in keeping with the theme, we do encourage you to have some fun and plan some outfits!
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4 | FORT LAUDERDALE
Sail-away Party: Join cruise Emcee Extraordinaire Jerry Blavat at the Sea View Pool, Deck 9 Aft, for drinks and dancing as we get the record hop started when we depart from Fort Lauderdale.
Nightly Theme: Welcome to the 1950s and 1960s—No special outfits required. Get unpacked and settled in for the week ahead!
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5 | AT SEA
Annual T-shirt Party: Great live music and drinks at the Lido Pool, Deck 9 Midship—wear your Malt Shop Memories Cruise T-shirt for free punch, beer and wine. Best decorated T-shirts will win prizes!
Nightly Theme: Sock Hop Celebration—Ladies, pack your poodle skirts and saddle shoes; Guys, grab your letterman sweaters and high-top sneakers to celebrate the great preppy styles of the late ‘50s and early ‘60s by the Lido Pool, Deck 9 Midship.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6 | GRAND TURK
NEW Nightly Theme: Aliens, Astronauts & Martians— The Space Race was heating up in 1968 when the Apollo 8 circled the Moon for the first time. Suddenly TV and movies brought Martians and spacemen into our lives. Celebrate that excitement and age of exploration at the pool party under the moon. Dress as a space explorer or an intergalactic creature!
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 7 | SAN JUAN
Nightly Theme: 1950s and 60s Movie and TV Character Night—Tonight is THE costume night! We have seen everyone from Lucy and Ethel to the cast of Gillian’s Island in years past. Get creative and celebrate your favorites from TV and film of the 1950s! We encourage everyone to participate as prizes will be awarded for the MOST CREATIVE COSTUMES!
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8 | ST. KITTS
Nightly Theme: Rebel with a Cause Night—Get your rebel on with Pink Ladies and “T” Birds jackets, denim, leather and a whole lot of rock ’n’ roll! It’s hot rods and motorcycles, pompadours and high heels—let your inner greaser shine!
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9 | AT SEA
Nightly Theme: Prom Night (Formal Night)—It was a very special night years ago so wear what you wore, would have worn, or wished that you wore to your senior prom.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10 | AT SEA
Nightly Theme: Farewell Night— A celebration of the bittersweet feelings for the last night of a wonderful cruise.
Wear whatever is still clean.
Excited for theme nights but don’t want to pack an extra suitcase full of costumes? Check out official Malt Shop Memories Cruise partner Crazy About Costumes for all of your Malt Shop Cruise costume needs and receive 20% off when you mention the cruise!
THE MAINSTAGE PERFORMANCES
The Mainstage is our main theater. Every guest will have the opportunity to see a nightly show based upon the designated show time (BLUE for early show and ORANGE for late show). The Mainstage Seating Card, found in the guest document box, is color coded for easy identification for the ushers and will match the color of your Stateroom Key Card (which you will receive at embarkation).
The Mainstage Show Policies and Procedures
To ensure that the entry and seating procedure is both fair and easy, we have adopted the following policies and procedures:
- You must present your Mainstage Seating Card to the ushers at the entrance in order to enter the theater for the appropriate show time. All seats have been assigned and we can’t accommodate seating requests or changes.
- There are four entrances to the Mainstage, two on Deck 2 and two on Deck 3. No other entrance is available for guests. The Mainstage Seating Card lists the suggested entrance best suited for your seat.
- Doors will open for each show approximately 30 minutes before scheduled show time. With assigned seating, there is no need to arrive early.
- All seats will be numbered clearly with Malt Shop Memories Cruise seat stickers, and ushers will be present to assist with any questions. Refer to the theater schematic in this package.
- Unfortunately we cannot allow guests to change seats. The guest who was assigned a specific seat may arrive late and it is too disruptive to everyone else to move once the show starts.
- Guests who interfere with the fair and safe entry into the Mainstage may risk forfeiting their rights to attend that show or other shows. Our goal is to provide the best entertainment experience for all of our guests and we request that you treat all passengers and staff with respect. Any behavior that disrupts the enjoyment of other passengers will result in removal from the show by security staff.
- The taking of flash photos and the recording of the shows violates our contracts with the performers. Since it is impossible to easily discern what type of equipment can record, no electronic equipment of any kind will be allowed in the Mainstage during shows.
MAIN DINING ROOM INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- On November 4, you will be given your Stateroom Key Card, which will either be ORANGE (early dinner seating) or BLUE (late dinner seating). Early dining begins at 6:00 p.m. and late dining begins at 8:30 p.m. As both dinner seatings are completely full, we will be unable to accommodate any requests to switch your dining time. Guests who previously made table requests with our office will receive a letter in their staterooms on embarkation day with the assigned table number. These guests should enter the Upper Dining Room on Deck 3. All other seating will be open, meaning that once guests have their full party together, they should proceed to the Lower Dining Room on Deck 2 to be seated. In the spirit of the Malt Shop Memories Cruise, guests with smaller parties will be seated with other guests.
OTHER DINING OPTIONS INCLUDED IN CRUISE FARE
- Lido Market A modern marketplace with different themed stations, Lido Market provides a fresh approach to casual dining for breakfast, lunch or dinner and offers a curated selection of delicious options to grab on the go or to have quickly made to order. Deck 9
- Dive-In Dive into a grilled burger on brioche or a Nathan’s Famous gourmet hot dog. Or, enjoy a grilled chicken breast sandwich and vegetarian-friendly portobello mushroom stack. Deck 9
- New York Pizza Crisp Italian salads and personal pan pizzas made with a thin crust and sauce so savory it does New York– style pizza proud. Deck 9
- 24-Hour In-Room Dining Sleep in and have breakfast delivered. Order a salad, sandwich or entrée any time. Dive-In can be ordered in-room for a $4.95 fee. Pinnacle Grill can be ordered in room. Additional fees may apply dependent on selection ordered.
- Light Bites There’s always a “little something” being served on board. Tea is offered every afternoon when in port in the Ocean Bar, afternoon ice cream treats in the Lido Market, hors d’oeuvres stations near late-evening venues and snacks available late into the night.
BAR SERVICE OFFERINGS
SEVERAL BEVERAGE PACKAGES If you purchase before we sail, you save! Holland America Line offers alcohol and non-alcohol beverage packages. Please note: All guests in a stateroom must purchase the same package. If you are interested in purchasing a beverage package now, please contact Holland America Line at 800-541-1576.
- Pinnacle Bar A sophisticated aura lends itself beautifully to an evening spent enjoying innovative cocktails and lively conversation with your friends and fellow guests. Deck 2
- Music Walk Three exciting venues and bars: Billboard Onboard, rocking the casino area; the beautiful Gallery Bar with a menu created by a master mixologist; and the already popular B.B. King’s Blues Club. Deck 2
- Tamarind Bar Exotic cocktails and saketinis are served in the Asian ambiance featuring wraparound ocean views. Deck 11
- Lido Bar Our Lido Bar will be hopping on this cruise. Located near the pool stage, this bar will be open all day and into the night as we have our nightly theme concerts by the Lido Pool. Deck 9
- Sea View Bar Located in the aft pool area, the Sea View Bar provides a quiet nook to recap all the fun of the cruise. Deck 9
- Explorations Café Bar Guests can enjoy their favorite espresso drinks provided by Torrefazione Italia while relaxing with the best views on board. Explore a wide array of audio and video programming or simply read the morning paper. Internet stations also provide free access to the New York Times online edition (wireless hot spots also available for those traveling with laptops). Deck 11
The Casino on board the Nieuw Amsterdam offers a variety of games for all levels. Enjoy complimentary lessons from dealers and tournaments for veteran players. Deck 2
- Table Games Play blackjack, roulette, craps (select ships), three-card poker, let it ride (select ships), Texas hold ’em and more.
- Slots From penny to five-dollar machines and multi-denomination games, plus video poker, there’s a game for you.
- Tournaments Join in the fun of a slot or blackjack tournament for that extra chance to win big.
THE GREENHOUSE SPA & SALON
The tranquil, Asian-inspired spa offers luxurious beauty salon and spa treatments, and features thermal pools, heated ceramic lounges and treatment rooms. Prices vary and subject to change. Deck 9
Examples include but not limited to:
Ionithermie Slimming Treatment
50 minutes $159 | Course of 3 for $299
Ionithermie Revitalizing Leg Therapy 45 minutes $79
Lime & Ginger Body Massage 50 minutes $155 | 75 minutes $209
Thai Herbal Poultice Massage 75 minutes $195
BIOTEC Line Eraser 50 minutes $184
Take a class in the professionally staffed Fitness Center equipped with state-of-the-art cardio and weight machines, as well as classes in yoga, Pilates, indoor cycling and more. Fees vary. Deck 9
Capture your best moments with portrait and activity photo packages that will allow you to enjoy your cruise experience for years to come. Prices for packages vary and subject to change. Deck 3
Photo packages of pictures taken by ship staff are sold by the cruise line and are only available during the cruise; orders cannot be placed after we return to FL. Candid photos taken by our StarVista LIVE photographers Tom and Trish will be posted to the website approximately two months after disembarkation.
ONLINE BOOKING: SHORE EXCURSIONS
Once you have completed your online check-in, you can book excursions directly at Holland America Line. Please take a look at a sampling of Shore Excursions offered by Holland America. For details and more Shore Excursions to choose from please click here.
Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos
The Grand Turk Experience (1.5 hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $44.95
Board an air-conditioned coach for a guided drive to view the former US Air Force facility where astronaut John Glenn was debriefed after his historic 1962 space flight, beautiful Bermudian-style buildings, Lighthouse Park and Waterloo—home to His Excellency the Governor. In Cockburn Town, you’ll have free time to explore this friendly little capital, with shopping and attractions ranging from Her Majesty’s Prison and the National Museum to 18th-century churches and local arts and crafts.
The Rainbow Calypso Tram (2 hours)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $29.95
Cruising along Duke Street aboard a tram while listening to soft calypso music, you will see the island’s old Bermudian-style homes. Panoramic views include talcum powder–like beaches and the stunning Caribbean Sea, little changed since Columbus sailed past in the 15th century. In Cockburn Town browse for souvenirs and visit the National Museum’s gift shop or the botanic gardens. Back on the tram, enjoy picturesque views as you head to the Grand Turk Lighthouse.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
El Yunque Rain Forest Drive (4 hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $59.95
Spend the day viewing El Yunque National Forest—the only tropical rain forest in the US National Forest system. A scenic drive brings you a point that affords panoramic views of the tropical woodland, with a vast variety of flora and crystalline waterfalls spread over the hills and valleys. You’ll pause briefly at one of the waterfalls, a bridge overlook, and the souvenir shop. Each stop allows you free time to explore on your own.
History and Cuisine of San Juan on Foot (3.5 hours)
Activity level: Strenuous | Adult $99.95
Discover the magic of the cocina criolla (Creole kitchen) starting with a guided walking tour among such historic sites as the San Juan Gate, Princesa pathway and prison, Raíces (Roots) fountain, Doña Fela museum, Rogativa statue, Plaza de Armas and cathedral. In the shopping district purchase coffee, crafts, jams and spices, designer clothing, jewelry and art. Next up—the tour highlight: the Mofongo & Mojito culinary demo and dining experience in a charming colonial restaurant.
Casa Bacardi, Old San Juan & Fortress (4 hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $69.95
Board an air-conditioned coach for a 25-minute drive to Casa Bacardi, enjoy a welcome drink and learn the story behind the legendary Bacardi cocktails and the birth of the iconic bat logo, and view a section of the plant from one of the exhibit windows. Re-board your motor coach to continue on a panoramic drive, leaving the town of Cataño passing through the modern Condado District. In Old San Juan, you will travel alongside 17th-century architecture, with a stop for a self-guided visit to Fort San Cristobal—the largest fortification built by the Spaniards in the New World.
Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Brimstone Fortress UNESCO World Heritage Site & Romney Gardens (4 hours)
Activity level: Moderate | Adult $79.95
An island drive through Basseterre. Visit the 300-year-old Brimstone Fortress, the second largest of its kind in the entire Western Hemisphere, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Take in the views of the Kittitian coastline, then visit the 12-acre Romney Gardens. Before returning to the ship you’ll drive past some of Basseterre’s traditional French and Victorian architecture, as well as old churches, West Indian cottages and a former slave market.
Beach Express (3.5 hours)
Activity level: Easy | Adult $39.95
Travel through Basseterre to the resort area of Frigate Bay. Enjoy six miles of striking beauty -- rolling hills, with each gentle turn providing a different spectacular view, the sea on either side and the land interrupted by dazzling salt ponds. At a local beach, spend time walking on the sand, swimming or sunbathing. A beach chair and refreshing drink are provided at the beachfront restaurant.